Thursday

Would I Know Him?


Then said Jesus unto him, Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe. John 4:48
I am not one who suffers much from irrational fears, but I will uneasily confess two. As a young parent I feared that my children might be taken from me, and that I might not be able to identify them months or years later. This fear caused me to study their faces for all the changes that come with growth, and imagine what they might look like in a year or two.
Second fear: If Jesus walked up to me and started a conversation without revealing who He was would I know Him? If He then told me who He was, but He didn’t quite fit the image in my mind, would I believe Him?
So many of the people in the Gospels, like the man in this text, failed to recognize Jesus for who He was, but others seemed to immediately know Him. Would I recognize my Savior? I like to think I would, but, knowing myself, I fear I might not. Would I be rebuked for my blindness like the nobleman in this verse? Would He have to prove Himself for me to believe?
One comfort I have is experience. I have never seen a profound sign or wonder as mentioned in this verse… yet I have followed Him most of my life. I have experienced His grace. Even so… my fear causes me to study Him, and seek to know who He really is… not who I want Him to be.

3 comments:

  1. That was a very good thought. Couldn't figure out where you were going with the intro. Fernando Ortega's song "Don't let me come home a stranger" I think is about this same kind of fear, finally arriving in heaven and not having taken time to know the Savior.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your blog and enjoyed the post. Check out my blog at stevefair.blogspot.com. Hope things are going well. Tell your family hello.

    Steve Fair

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bro. Larry,

    Great question. I tend to think that the nobleman didn't recognize Him because there was not a witness inside. As far as we are concerned, we have the Spirit bearing witness with our spirit that we are the children of God. Therefore, I think, if Jesus walked up to us we would not behave like the nobleman, but rather like Thomas and worship Him. I sense that the Spirit within us would acknowledge Him for Who He is and we would be like Isaiah or John and fall at His feet as though we were dead.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails